Friday, September 12, 2008

Colours, Tiles and Cash

Today I went to National Tiles for our tile appointment. If you have read earlier posts, you will know I was not happy that I could not choose any tile I wanted if I was prepared to pay for it. This was because they had brown, tan, beige,cream, with colours of black, white and red. So NOT me. Neutral is something for a gear stick, not for a house.
What a fabulous surprise it was to meet "N" who was simply sensational. I had chosen some ideas for laminex colours for the wet areas and I needed to pull these together with the tiles. No problems. She looked and found exactly what was needed.
For the bathroom, I was able to choose a feature glass tile which is 5 different shades of blue/green which matched the laminex I wanted for the cabinet and a white marbled tile for the wall/floor which matched the laminex for the bench top. If you look at the picture you can see them all together. The feature tile will be the background for the niche in the shower and two rows will be used along the top of the bath. It seems that mirrors now come down to the benchtops, so I asked to get a row of tiles above the vanity (can't stand water marks on mirrors from hand washing). I also chose a "capping tile" in the deeper green to go around the mirror, to "frame it".


The powder room is going to have the same floor/wall tile on the floor and as a row above the vanity. I am thinking I may have the same laminex for the cabinet and benchtop, but I am not sure yet. I use black as the cabinet and stay with the "carrara" for the benchtop.


The laundry is going to be black and white, here is the floor tile. It is a black marbled effect with the lighter colours swirled through it being a purplish/grey colour. I actually chose a white rippled tile but you don't get samples of those because everyone knows what a white tile looks like. I am thinking of laminex "burnished plum" cabinets with a white benchtop otherwise it will be black cabinets.


And finally, my favourite, the ensuite tiles. I chose a cream marbled tile for the main tile in here, for the spa, the shower and above the vanity. I also chose glass pencil tiles in aubergine and lavender as a feature to being out the purples and aubergines in the marble effect. Lovely!

The picture shows the marbled tile at the top, the black tulip laminate for the cabinets, burnished plum for the bench top and an unusual coloured tile for the floor. It is almost a plum/brown toned tile, that seems to take on the colour of what it is near. Putting the plum/purples of the laminate near it makes it a plum based colour. Unfortunately, this picture does not really show the depth in the marbled tile.

I also chose an aubergine "capping tile" for the mirror surround as well. Although "N" had to go find if they had these anymore, but she found them! And the best bit, apart from the capping tiles, pencil features and glass features for the bathroom, the lot were standard tiles. How good is that! Just have to wait on the final pricing now but I am sure that I am within budget.
Off to hopetoun for a bit of investigation over the weekend. Toodle pip!

6 comments:

Toni said...

Hi, just found you blog. Congrats on your Illoura (there are a few people out there building that house at the moment) one that I love, we considered it and even had lots of prices/changes done with "G" at Mernda before buying our land.

Are you T&L's neighbour? Looks like the side of their house in one of the photo's.

Great that you got some colour in your tiles at NT, I totally understand how you feel. I'm so not a brown person either but seem to have alot of it in our new house (or will have when we get to that stage).

Hope all goes well at Tender and Hopetoun.

Anonymous said...

Cheers H2B, yes that is us! Still have not met T&L but hope to when they move in. "G" at Mernda has been great now we are awaiting tender hopefully the site costs will not be too shocking.
I hsave been following your blog and I love your bricks. We can't have boral, so have to choose an austral brick.

Anonymous said...

I like your selections. Good to see you could found something you like. I know exactly what you mean about the NT range. I left feeling a bit disheartened and I'm still not sure about my selections.
Sounds like we're not far from each other (I'm in Mooroolbark). I found Hopetoun really good - just be carefull when they give you prices - sometimes they give wrong info.

Toni said...

Funny that you like our bricks but have to choose from Austral.....I loved La Trobe and Canterbury (think Marcuso has C'bury) both by Austral but had to have Boral ;-) We are happy with them though. I loved the colours used on the Bridgeport display at Pakenham using La Trobe bricks.

You must feel like you know T&L already through their blog.

Hope site costs aren't too high.

Marcuso, your selections look fantastic! You did a great job ;-)

would be home said...

Hi BelleBeau
Great blog, so detailed, i wish i knew how to do it.
Well, Sorry to hear you had problems with PD, but i think thats only thing thats standard with PD....:-)
Thanks for your wishes and same to you
I will follow your journey... its exciting...

K AND T said...

Hi BB, so now I see that not only do we have similar tastes in houses, but I also love your tiles as well. Those greens and purples are lovely. Good luck at Tender, I look forward to your next update!