Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fix Stage Complete.... I don't think so.

Hello all,

Hmm, PD have a very interesting way of invoicing people. We paid our lock up invoice on the Wednesday and in the mail on Friday I got the fix invoice. Seems that the house is supposed to be at the completed "fix" stage according to when the trades people were meant to be there and how long they were allocated for the job, hence we got an invoice.

So, we visited the house on Friday night. Hmm, er, NO, it's far from a completed "Fix" stage. Missing skirting boards, doors not hung, wrong doors, shelves not put in, the powder room cupboard is still in the kitchen not installed and the list goes on. Sent a polite email letting them know that I was not going to get this stage inspected until I could see that the Fix was complete to begin with then once it was inspected and any issues corrected, I'd pass the invoice on for payment.

Our CSC let me know that she has faxed the list to the SS and she should be able to update me Thursday. Supposedly the painters go in straight after Easter, but the plasters have not been back and there are quite a few things for them to fix. For those of you further along in your builds, did this happen to you? I cannot see the point of getting it painted then pulling down the plaster and getting it repainted. Why not fix it first????

Either way, when we went there last evening, it was clean. No sign of the fix carpenter. We thought that meant he'd finished, but we have no shelves and other things are not done either. We'll have to wait for the update.

On a happy note, the wonky brickwork was all taken down and re bricked on the weekend. The SS was having a meeting with the brick rep on site on Tuesday, so we should get an answer on our brick colours too this week. On the whole, we cannot complain, as issues are raised they are usually acknowledged or explained and then fixed in due course.

Our current home went on the market on Friday so fingers crossed we get a good price and that we can get terms that we want. Once we know how much we will have to play with once the settlement goes through, I think it will make me a bit less nauseous each time I look at the bank statements. LOL

Pics from this week:
Interesting view. Yep, a big chunk out of the window frame. Why can't they just take a bit more time and care?
Guess which is straight the plaster or the skirting board? Answer, neither!

Man (or should that be Person) hole, that's the platform that the heater is sitting on at the side there.
Ensuite, looking good. But our tiles are to go to the ceiling, shouldn't that waterproofing stuff go under all the tiling???
Yep, contract says 4 panel balmoral doors. I suppose since there are two doors, technically there are 4 panels. Oooopsies. They did it again in the laundry too...

I know this is a bit of a ramble, but this blog has become therapy (thanks Liana!) for the trials and tribulations as well as the joys of building. Thanks for coming on the journey!
Happy Easter all

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi J,
Who would have thought that building blogs could become regular therapy sessions for all of us? So true. I'm not sure I would have kept my sanity as long as I have, if it wasn't for all you bloggers.

I felt a bit sad looking at some of your photos because it's the same crap that we've seen. Zero care factor by the tradies.

But don't fret. Our experience shows that it really is easier for PD to rip things out over and over again, than to do it right the first time or in the right order. ie. painters before plasterers?

That wall and skirting! Too many memories flooded back. Ours was jigged around 4 times before they got it right. Start head shaking now - left, right, left.

In answer to your question about those of us further along in our build - in our case - YOU BET and MORE!!! The term a*se about comes to mind. At the start (slab and frame), the tradies came in the right order, after that, it defied science!

I can help you out with those Balmoral 4 panel doors, because I had the same issue. 2 panel Balmorals were fitted to our laundry cupboards. That's because they can't make 4 panel if the doors are narrow (ie. less than about 780mm wide I think). The panels would we way too narrow. If you look at our laundry cupboard pics, you'll see they are the same as yours. Of course, PD didn't tell us at the start. Surprise!!!

The fact that you've got tiling all the way to the ceiling in your shower recess is a variation? Yes? Bet this variation wasn't passed on to the tradies. That's why they haven't water-proofed all the way up. Almost all our variations never made it to the tradies. I'm not kidding!

The best advice I can give you is to keep your eyes on the details of your build and raise EVERYTHING with your SS and CSC. Don't worry about how many times they have to re-work or replace things, or what's logical and common sense, because you'll end up in a snug-fitting, white jacket with buckles on the sleeves in a padded room. LOL!!!

Chin up J!
Let the builder do all the worrying and you stay on top of your game.

Best of luck with the sale of your house. I have everything crossed for you, even my eyes :)

Cheers
Liana
PS: How come I can't write short comments?! Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh :(
Sorry J. That really IS a very BIG comment. Doesn't even fit on my monitor without having to scroll. But it's only because I care that I wrote so much :)

L

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi J,

I feel your pain. We got the 'fix' invoice last week as well. It seems that once a job gets to 120 days the invoice gets automatically sent out on the assumption that things are done. Lol. Well that's the short answer I got from our CSC today when I rang to query the invoice. So don't fret, I reckon there'll be quite a few unpaid invoices... I agree though, that they seem to be quite willing and cooperative whenever there is a problem and you can't complain about that.

I agree with Liana about variations not being passed on to the tradies - we've had a few similar problems. Easily rectified, but would've been easier if it was done in the first place!!

Good luck with the sale of your house. I hope it happens very soon.

BelleBeau said...

Hey Liana, I am sooo glad you care enough to write!!!

If I had not been able to read your blog (and others) I am sure we would be in a far worse situation than we currently are.

I am very, very glad that you take the time to pass on your experiences to me and to other bloggers. Building a house is something most people only ever do once so the majority are novices who frankly have very little idea of how the industry operates.

It's brilliant to be able to share the frustration and the joy with other people who can not only sympathise but who can understand and offer suggestions and, most often, a way forward.

Besides, I just can't do short posts either. I am sure I could talk underwater if I tried!

Hi Mandy, we must be neck and neck by now! We are doing our best to keep on top of it but it is very frustrating seeing the waste that goes on in building!!

Cheers
J

M&J said...

Hi BB, let it all out! Its great having others who understand what building is like to live through. Family and friends whom haven't built just don't quite understand what we go through.

No surprise that variations and the like don't end up making it to the tradies.... we didn't even get final plans to our tradies! hehe As long as you're on the ball and keeping SS on his toes, things should turn out right.

Good luck with the sale of your house too!

K AND T said...

Hi J,
Yep, their invoicing system sure is bizarre. How hard would be it be for the SS to simply call the accounts dept. and say YES! It actually is complete and up to scratch. Hmmmm, obviously too hard. Where were your wonky bricks??? Above wonky alfresco door frame?? Glad they are fixed.
Still seems that you are achieving reasonable progress forward, just hope they don't start taking 2 steps back.
Ohhhh, OFI or appointment only??? Hope the sales campaign is going well. Such a stressful time!
Happy Easter,
K.

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

Guys, who would have thought they would finish so quickly between lock up and fixing. Sounds like the same problem we had where the invoice dosen't match the work being done.Sounds like your on top of it though. Hope you had a great easter break.

R&C