Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bricks and Spaghetti

Hello everyone!

What a fun week it has been so far this week. I fear we are becoming spoilt, as when we went to the house on Monday nothing appeared to have happened and we felt quite disappointed. I can't complain about our SS, he has the trades lined up to come in bang, bang, bang and so far everything has been great with the build. If it keeps up at this pace, I am sure that handover will be before 11 August. Fingers crossed!

I spoke to the SS on Tuesday, as we have to move the cold water point in the WIP. S has a bulging disc in his back from, you guessed it, moving a fridge! So, our cold water point has to go above the fridge so that we can change the filter without having to move the fridge every 6 months. He said he'd speak to the plumbers. He also said that we have to have the gas meter at the front of the house as it has to be 1 meter from the meter box and 600 from the HWS. He seems pretty pedantic about things, so it's going to be on the side of the study.

The Ducted Heating unit and the ducting were installed on Tuesday. S climbed into the roof to make sure it was the upgraded unit (while J had heart failure!!!!) and found that PD place an alarm on the heating unit. Makes sense I suppose given the price of these things, but it is a sad comment on the world we live in.

There's a heater up there somewhere...

Fit off of the plumbing inside the house...

The Gas lines to the hot water service were put in...

The offending cold water point in the WIP...


Then on Wednesday, the Plumbing was finished off and the brickies gear arrived on site. no brickies, just the gear. Thursday night we rocked up and BRICKS!!!!!

We have Nougat bricks by Austral. Like many other bloggers, when the bricks arrived I was not too sure about the colour. When we got to see the bricks laid up close, I was still not too sure and a bit disappointed. Then I saw the bricks in full sunlight and they were exactly what we chose. The colour looks soooo different in shade/filtered light compared to full sun. One thing though for anyone contemplating Nougat bricks, go the Off - White mortar, it really completes the look with the bricks.

Bricks!!!



From the front which is in the shade, the bricks look much darker ...

The brickie is really neat so far. This is full sun, bricks are much lighter..


When we got inside, the electrical rough in has started!! Spaghetti everywhere. We were trying to remember the data points, power points,foxtel cables etc. Need to take the plan up and compare.
Some of the spaghetti for the HT area...


More spaghetti and they are not finished..

And the last pic is of our timber window which was stolen and has been replaced!
Now that the electrical is in, we are going up Saturday to put in extra noggins where we need them for pictures, hand rails etc.

Have a great week everyone!

10 comments:

K AND T said...

Ooh, where is my clapping hands emoticon when I need it? What a great post! So much great stuff happening!
The bricks look fantastic! Very nice to see after all the trouble Austral have been having with them. And I love them with your windows and the off - white mortar....you've done well, and must be so excited to see it all looking great!
God, I'll be in trouble when it comes to working out all of those wires!! I'll juat have to take their word for it I guess, and just count finished power points at the end!
I look forward to hearing about how you get on installing noggins...I have no idea about that either!!! :-)
Here's to a handover before August 11th!

DeGaul said...

Great looking bricks Belle'. Your house going along really well.
Lots of cabling. Oh, and if you are planning to get Foxtel IQ, you will need 2 cables ran to the foxtel point..!
If not sure, ask the cabler

Anonymous said...

Hey J!
You're going great guns, aren't you. Can't believe the progress! Now on a more serious note ... you used the word "brickie" way too many times for my liking :((

Your bricks do look great especially with the mmm.. mmm.. mmmmmmm...mortahhhhhhhh (that's a hard word for me to say) colour.

I remember our spaghetti phase (pardon the pun) and all those big, fat worms in the roof.

LOL! I just saw the word verification below this comment, as I'm typing this. I have to type "ductsme". Hehehehe. I need a life.

Cheers
Liana

Lisa said...

I would say it is a good thing about the SS being pedantic - it should mean good quality work.

How exciting to have bricks!! :D

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

Guys, looking good adn the bricks. we found our bricks darker under the mortar dried properly. Once that happens it will look great. They seem to be romping along with your place, when is your finish date? R&C

would be home said...

Hi J
Thats great progress :-))
Boy!!! you SS is on roll.
I am sure you will finish before us.
Your bricks look amazing and Nougat is not that light(as i thought). Ansolutely right about mortar as it makes so much difference.
And K as far as spaghetti is concerned, we didnt have a faintest idea as well and we are hoping that they will keep up to their promise of supplying what they have to and what they should. Dont have an option here :-(

M&J said...

Still charging ahead! Your SS seems to have the throttle on MAX! Love the bricks and glad you're happy with them. You'll be at lockup in no time!

Toni said...

Very productive week for you guys. You must be rapt.

But.....I have a question.....the gas meter needs to be away from the meter box? and the HWS? Please don't tell me that this is a govt regulation.....mine are pretty much all on top of each other!

BelleBeau said...

Hi all and thanks for the words of encouragement!

Hi K, about to pop our to your blog to see what's happening. I tried to walk through the wires with the electrical plan, Sheesh!!! We'll move in I think and then check it all off as we go.

Hi David, I have no idea and I'm starting to think that I'll work it out later when my head does not hurt so much.

Hey Liana, "I need a life", that is so me, I am so obsessed with this build. Can you tell I am hanging out to put this place on the market and get out????

Thanks Lisa, yes it is exciting, especially after the long wait between selections, tender and contract.

Hey R&C, our contract date is 11 August!! Really hard trying to decide when to put this place on the market. If they keep it up, then they should be finished well before then, but who knows????

Hi WBH, your house is an inspiration! I keep going back to your blog to see what comes next with ours LOL. We're really happy with the mortar now. It's so hard to pick it all off pictures. I gave up on the spaghetti, we'll check it out when we get in I think.

Hi M&J, you'll be at this stage soon, once the frame goes up, it just seems like things keep happening.


OMG Toni, I wish I knew!! the cremorne next door has the gas meter almost directly below the electricity, it's the same way at our current house. If I have a choice I would rather that it was not at the front believe me. That's what started this, I asked where it was going.

The SS said it has to be 1m from electricity box and 600mm from the water heater.

Next door is 600mm from the water heater. Our current house is 6.5m.

I have checked as far as I can on a weekend. It seems that there is a requirement for it to be placed "more than 1000cm from an ignition source". This is from Aust Stnd - Gas Installations - AS5601. That is the standard they are supposed to meet.

We paid to get the gas line upgraded (it's huge!!) because we have a capped gas point in the alfresco. It maybe that there are more stringent standards depending upon the size of the gas line???

I have no idea. I have quite a few other questions to ask anyway after our last good hard look at the house, so I may just query again. I can grow something in front of it and put stepping stones to it, if I have to. It's hard to argue "it looks bad" when they come back with "it's safer".

I'll let you know if I can find out anything more!

Cheers
J

Toni said...

Thanks J, appreciate it. I think I'll have to do some googling for myself tonight too.