Tuesday, May 12, 2009

He's Baaaaaack!!!

Well, our SS is back from sick leave and it is apparent with a flurry of things happening at the house. The outstanding list of issues to be fixed is now down to 6. Amazing!

Regular readers will know I was very frustrated with the delay in the last few weeks. Interestingly, I found out that the painter was responsible for the delay. He put on the undercoat and saw that the plasters had done "a pretty crap job" on almost all of the sheet joins so the undercoat was very patchy and there were quite a few cornice joins and corners that were not good enough in his opinion either. So, he stopped work to get the plasterers back to get it fixed.
The painter “B” is very particular and whilst he is happy to fix the nicks and dings, this was way too much for he and his mate to do. Very time consuming and costly. So the delay was waiting for the plasterers to come back and fix all the areas he had marked with the pencil. That way the plasterers wear the cost of their "pretty crap job". It seems that the plasterers were not too impressed with him or his opinion, but he won out in the end and it was fixed. When they had fixed the issues, "B" came back. After a long conversation with him, I feel very lucky that we have him as our painter. He takes a lot of pride in his work. Our tiler also told us we were lucky to get him as he is the best painter he works with. It made us feel better to get a recommendation from another tradie.
So, now I know that the delay was in order to get a better job, I feel a bit like a nutter for complaining. This is where better communication would solve almost all our problems. Although I can hardly blame the SS for being off sick!!

Update:

The outside painting is almost finished; the insert on the garage roof has been painted as has the alfresco timber beams. Only the Laundry door to go, the inside has been stained but the outside is going to be Ironstone.

This looking into the laundry, with the cupboards along the left hand wall. You can just see the first tile sitting in the bottom corner near the door.
Shelves have all been installed in the laundry and two linen cupboards as well as the Walk In Pantry. I suspect that the space for the fridge has been left too small to fit our fridge in, so we will need to measure that before we go too much further. It was a very pleasant surprise to find out that although the contract says “painted particleboard” we are told by our SS that PD now use a wardrobe company to do all of the shelving so we have white melamine shelves. Bonus!
Walk In Pantry shelving

Rear linen closet shelving. Shelves at my height LOL Notice the large expanse at the top!
Best of all, the under bench sink has now been installed!! The edge of the stone has been polished and the tap hole has also been drilled. It needs to be sealed around the edges properly, as it does not look like they have done that at all.
Not to mention the fact that it is flithy!

Tiles arrived on site on Friday afternoon.

They have all been labelled by some helpful person, pity that they couldn't be bothered to read and check all our selections.

We then met the Tiler "J" on site this morning. Hmm, National Tiles! I had dramas from the first with them. Firstly, not sending me the tile list/layout as promised, then when I did get it, sending me someone else’s tile plan. Then stuffing up the codes. They finally got it right in December when we did the selection in September!
So, after going through the tiles with "J" as he had laid them out, found out that they have sent double the quantity of floor tiles for the laundry and have marked them to be used as the splash back as well. Went back through the paper work and I am right!! The splash back tiles are supposed to be white. Wrong paperwork again! The paperwork the tiler was working off was an older incorrect copy (around October I think)

Popped back this afternoon and there were tiles laid on the ensuite floor already!

On another note, for anyone who is interested, I have been getting quotes for blinds so that we can install them ourselves at handover. I have got free samples sent from “BlindsOnLine” and took them to the house to look at them compared to the wall colour. We are happy with the quality of the samples and the savings buying on line and hanging ourselves is up to $1,500 difference in one case. I have done a comparison for what we need and I think I can do the whole house (minus bi folds) for about $1400 delivered from these people. And they are made in Australia, so I am supporting Australian manufacturing which makes me feel good and saving money which makes me feel even better.

Best news is that the tiler thinks he will only be a week to finish and then the SS has promised me I will get a PCI date. Fingers Crossed!

12 comments:

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

BB, congrats on the progress, your catching us real fast. Great to hear the problem list is own to just 6 items, at this rate you'll be finished before us. It's all looking pretty good from the photo's. Like the sink.

R&C

K AND T said...

Hey J,
Great progress!
Love your ensuite tiles.
Good on your painter for not putting up with the shoddy work done by the plasterers. He sounds like a gem, and has done a great job on those Laundry cupboard doors...they look so smooth and shiny!
Thanks for the tip about the blinds, that sounds like a really good price, I'll have to check them out.
Can't wait to hear of your PCI date - I'm sure neither can you! ;-)
Cheers,
K.

Hels said...

That's a real bonus getting one of the best painters. Most painters would have just painted over the bodgy plaster joins, so good on him for getting it fixed first.
The tiles look great too, not so good that NT have stuffed up the order. I hope they all go in as they should be.

I'll be interested to see how long until your PCI date, gives me an idea of timeframe too lol.
You should definitely make your July deadline now... Yay!

~ Hels ~

BelleBeau said...

Thanks R&C, I hope things are moving at your place too. We are amazed at how fast things are now getting fixed.

Hey K, yes they go great with the laminex colours. It's hard when you only have little bits of colour to try to imagine them in bigger areas. I am really happy that they are all working out. Am ordering the blinds tomorrow and should have them in three weeks so I will give you an update on them then.

Hi Hels, I am still apprehensive that something dreadful will happen and the five of us will be living in a lounge room in keysborough!

Now the SS is back on deck, I feel heaps better. To be fair, the plasterers have been the only trade that seems to have done a slap dash job. It might be because we are there every night and keep the SS updated when there are issues. LOL Liana was right, we really are owner builders!

Will keep you all updated when we get the PCI date, excitement!

Cheers
J

G+A said...

I'm turning green and drooling at the same time.

Your tiles look soooo good!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey J!
I've been MIA again. Been bashing some builders ;]

Your painter sounds like a God-Send. I'll swap painters with you any day. Our painter is actually Stevie Wonder with dementia!!! I'll tell you more in my next blog post.

Great bonus with the melamine shelves! We weren't so fortunate.

National Tiles. What can I say that won't have me up for slander and defamation. Hmmm ... not much. Your experience with them sounds exactly like ours. We've ended up with double the quantity of one particular tile and not enough of another. I guess that's why PD insist on the customer meeting with the tiler before they start work.

I don't know about you, but I got really excitable when our tiling started. You start to see the theme of the rooms evolving and taking colour and style. Wait until the grout is done and you stand back and get that feeling of "oh ... it's a room". It's a pretty damn good feeling (even though our tiles were mis-matached :(

I had a chuckly when I read you got samples from Blinds on Line. I did too!!! If you plan on doing it yourself, this mob is the best for quality, price and professionalism. Great minds think alike, hey J?

Cheers!
Liana

Anonymous said...

Oh. Forgot to ask ... what's the update on your anticipated PCI? Has it moved any closer?

L

BelleBeau said...

Hey Liana,

Good to hear from you, the therapy is going well I take it?

No PCI yet, handover is still officially 11 August ATM. Which is a real bitch because I can't organise anything with any confidence and am stressing about having no where to live with the kids.

Really pleased to hear that you have had a good experience with BlindsOnLine. Have placed my order and saved $75 by choosing to pick them up which is even better. Finally something in this build is under budget LOL

Fingers crossed that you are seeing some positive signs at your place.
Cheers
J

Relle said...

Hi BB, so good to hear that some PD tradies care about doing something well. Hope we get the same painter as you!

Your bathroom tiles look very similar to what we chose.

Not far away now, good luck for getting the PCI date soon.
Relle

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi J,
I'm so glad everything is happening again. You've got tiles!! Yay!! And lucky you got in there early to pick up the mistakes.. Are PD doing your carpets as well?
Everything is looking wonderful. I was told today that we should have a PCI date by next week as well - I think our SSs(too many ssss?) may have a bet going between them to see who finishes first, lol.
Good on your painter for making the plasterers responsible for their shoddy work - there should be more of it!! It's good to know there are still some sensible people around.

All the best for the coming week,
Mandy

Toni said...

Wow, your painter sounds great! you are lucky to have someone like him.

Sorry to hear about the drama with NT. I don't think anyone has really had a good experience with them....
Your house is really coming along! Won't be long till you are moving in too :-)

Tip re blinds on line - don't order anything that has acrylic backing, it feels like plastic and retains alot of heat and will end up cracking. A friend ordered blinds through them. Great price for the whole house though!

and the feature tiles in the pic look really nice :-)

K AND T said...

Bedrooms and feature colours painted and no update????? Naughty, naughty! ;-) Pictures please!